Be sure to include radio in your publicity campaign. Despite the explosion of digital media, research shows that radio remains one of the most powerful mediums and is one of the most cost-effective publicity tools in terms of reach, network penetration and targeting audiences.
Podcasts are rapidly gaining in popularity but the medium has a ways to go before it reaches the audience that radio currently enjoys. In 2019, there are more than 800,000 active podcasts and more than 54 million podcast episodes. Yet radio still reaches 93% of Americans every week, while about 26% of Americans listen to all those podcasts.
Look at these recent findings:
- Radio is the leading reach platform: 92% of Americans listen to AM/FM radio over the airwaves, which is higher than TV viewership (87%), PC use (54%), smartphone use (81%), and tablet use (46%)
- 271 million Americans 6+ listen to the radio each week
- 42 million Americans listen to podcasts each week
- 71.6 million Millennials listen to radio each month
- Digital radio listenership has increased dramatically from 12% of Americans 12+ listening weekly in 2007 to 53% in 2017
Radio listeners span all ages, including your publicity campaign targets:
- Millennials (those born between 1980 and 1996) 95%
- Generation X (those born between 1965 and 1979) 97%
- Baby Boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) 98%
- Silent Generation (1925 and 1945) 86%
96% of those who have driven or ridden in a car in the past month have used the car radio
94% of college graduates listen to radio each week
70.8% have annual household incomes over $75K
20% of US smartphone owners listen to internet radio on their devices
Radio is everywhere:
- 30% of listeners listen at home
- 73% listen in the car
- 16% listen at work
Streaming radio has become a routine part of millions of user’s lives through computers and mobile devices. A study found that 40% of online listeners listen primarily to online streams of AM/FM radio stations.
Radio and Podcast Tours
As publicists, Carney & Associates specializes in Radio and Podcast Tours, which are among the most efficient, cost-effective way of getting your message out to a broad audience.
A Radio Media Tour (RMT) is a series of back-to-back interviews that allows you to be interviewed by multiple radio stations, podcasts, and networks within a few hours, to promote your book, cause or campaign. They can be done by phone from the comfort of your home, office, or hotel landlines. When done in blocks, RMTs generally take two to four hours of your time, depending upon the number of interviews. As an alternative, if you’re willing to spread your interviews over weeks or months, we can generate even more bookings for you.
We also offer radio advertising services to supplement your publicity campaign. We handle the copywriting and media buying in-house, and if you want all the bells and whistles, we work with an outstanding production team that can, well, add all the bells and whistles.
Contact Kathlene Carney for a free consultation to discuss how our Radio Media Tours can help meet your publicity goals.